Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Send us your suggestions

We need some advice from all of your out there folks…sailors an non-sailors…
Our plan was to leave Luperon, Dominican Republic before the end of February, but looking at the things right now, seems that this will be impossible! Unless we leave without concerning with some basic safety aspects! Which, of course, we are not willing to do unless we are really forced to do it.
We like to be here, apart from being the “end of the world” and almost impossible to have anything done right on the boat! Apart from that, and apart from being 1 hour ride away from the near supermarket, Luperon is not that bad!
However, we want to leave by the sea as soon as possible.
The boat is now floating at the dock and the major problems are the roller furling system blocked on top. We didn't went up to check it, so if any suggestions, feel free to drop us a line!
Also the power generator went dead again due to lack of attention when closing it after being assembled. The mechanic didn't paid attention to what he was doing and closed the system with one major electric cable touching the cooling elbow…result was a lot of smoke and the plant not working. Again!
The engine seems to be working of but we need to go out to try it out full speed and engaged. If any suggestion, feel free to tell us!
As battery power is concern, for now we solved it. Installed a 245 watts solar panel and a 30amp controller, which is working perfectly and keeping our batteries full during the day. However we can’t use our stove/oven without the power plant, so we decided to buy a gas stove, gas bottle and will use it inside the boat when we need to cook and don’t have DC power.

We would like to have some input about the best time to leave this area heading to Puerto Rico or to the Caribbean sea side of the Hispaniola. Up until June?

1 comments:

João,
Está na hora de decidires o que queres fazer e o que podes fazer. O enrolador pode ser um problema menor, mas pode ser um problema a repetir-se em alto mar, julgo que tens de perceber qual o estaleiro e/ou marina onde possam de facto cuidar das necessidades do teu veleiro - percebe-se que muito aconteceu entre o pagares o veleiro e tomares a sua posse no inicio do corrente ano.Aquilo pelo qual estás a passar deve ser de aviso a todos os velejadores interessados em adquirir embarcações nessa zona do mundo e no estaleiro onde o foste buscar - por outro lado... que semelhanças com a Ásia.

A questão do motor, do gerador, de tantos pormenores, indica uma embarcação que esteve parada durante demasiado tempo e sujeita aos elementos sem cuidados de quem o detinha para venda à sua posse... e algumas coisas foram desaparecendo.

Na minha modesta opinião deves ponderar se esse é o veleiro que protege a tua família nos oceanos, se essa é a casa que vos fará felizes nos próximos anos. Quiçá, vender seja a melhor opção... e repensar a grande viagem, afinal, como bem sabes, não tens o apoio dos países que queres honrar pelos grandes feitos dos descobridores há cinco séculos atrás, não deves nada a ninguém, todos nós que estamos deste lado, mais ou menos conhecidos, mais ou menos amigos, compreendemos e apoiamos-te, incondicionalmente, a ti e a toda a tripulação.

Sem pretender ser desmoralizador, o que pretendo é a vossa segurança e a vossa felicidade, devo dizer que tudo indica (pelos vossos relatos) que esse veleiro esgota os vossos recursos económicos e está, claramente, a introduzir muito stresse na vossa relação (a ler no que afirmas no Clarim e a tua esposa no blog).

Protejam-se e nunca esqueçam que uma retirada estratégica é sempre um reposicionamento para a continuação da missão, portanto, não hesitar.

O Capitão és tu e saberás decidir, em família, claro está.
Abraço
Antonio

Post a Comment